Thursday 10 July 2008

Recurring Dreams

It was probably 6 months ago or so when I first had this dream. Unlike any other dream, it didn't feel like a normal dream where you're experiencing it, but rather I was shown it. Like a film. Plus it's always very short, probably only lasting less than a minute. Just a glimpse.

Basically the dream goes as follows;
It's always me, looking somewhat older, but still young, so perhaps mid twenties, it's hard to tell. And I'm stood with a different family. I still have my own, yet there is another I've become a part of. This family lives in a nice big house, somewhere rural, everything very tasteful and high quality, lots of books too. This family obviously is middle class and well educated. What's happening usually varies from having a BBQ in the garden to singing round a piano or just having a conversation over dinner. I'm married or engaged to be married to the eldest son in the family, tall, dark and handsome (what a cliché), intelligent with a good job and very romantic. And everyone's happy, I'm happy. Sometimes the scene is when I'm even older, my thirties and there are also 4 children, my children.
There is no sound to any of this, no dialogue, except one voice, not spoken from any of the characters as such, but from somewhere else to accompany the scene. Always saying the same words; "For I know the plans I have for you, plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future."

Of course I now realise this to be from scripture, Jeremiah 29:11
For I know the plans I have for you," declares the LORD, "plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future.
Though my dream didn't contain any reference as to whom said it, as though it were coming directly from God, who of course shouldn't need an introduction.

At the time this was such a weird dream as it certainly didn't resemble any life I had or could have, the man I was going to marry didn't feature. Plus I wasn't happy and seeing myself happy was a somewhat alien concept to me. That and I'd almost completely forgotten about God at this stage, resigned myself to a life without Him. To the point where I didn't recognise the dialogue as scripture. I dismissed this dream as just a dream, impossible, never going to happen, just my psyche fantasising. It would never come true, after all it sounds to me to be perfect.

But this dream keeps coming back, in my sleep and when I day dream. Pestering me. It was not long before I went to New York when I thought perhaps this dream had some truth. Perhaps I was destined for better than what I currently had. So I met New York with great anticipation, hoping to meet the man of my dreams who'd take me away from it all, rescue me. I didn't meet him. However New York was the catalyst for a series of events leading me back to the Lord and of course gave me the clarity I needed to see my relationship for what it was, a shambles and to get out of it.

So that was brilliant, perhaps the dream served it's purpose, altering my mindset and opening my eyes to the possibilities of a different life. But it still keeps coming back. I'm starting to get excited, what if it does become a reality, surely I'd be the luckiest girl in the world. Maybe this is some sort of plan God has for me. That would be wow. But I won't get too excited, after all, only God knows what He has planned for my life, and this may not be it, it would be nice. I'll just have to see what life brings. I definitely can't pursue this as such given the dream seems very small, too small to make out facial features, so I haven't a clue as to who this dream man is or what he even looks like. Ah well.

So yeh, just something on my mind of late. But I'll enjoy being single for the time being. God has made it very clear I need to be single at the moment, but hopefully not forever. Who knows maybe I will get my doctor (or science orientated, intelligent, well read and high earning) that looks like a cross between Hugh Laurie, Rupert Everett and Alan Rickman!

No comments: