Saturday 28 June 2008

The Gift of Worship

Worship, worshipping God, through song, dance and music. One of my favourite ways to communicate with God. It's very rare to find me driving without some sort of worship CD on singing along, or even just singing on my own, driving, walking through town, doing the housework (okay more worship than housework). So being asked to sing with members of the church is fantastic. I was extremely apprehensive, but I went along on Wednesday afternoon to sing with Mark and Tracey, intimate and informal. Yes I was terrified, singing in public isn't my forte, I feel very exposed and vulnerable to criticism. But I reminded myself, this wasn't about my singing ability, it was glorifying God with my voice. Whether it be tuneful, well projected and in key is irrelevant, any voice in worship is still a beautiful sound to God.

However the rumours would seem to have some truth, and my vocal tutor isn't praising my talents for cash flow purposes (at least I hope not). I can apparently sing, and when I want to, and when I let myself, I do have a pretty powerful voice. So consequently I've been asked to join the youth worship band (I can get away with it at 20). But not only to sing with them but to lead them it would seem. Something along the lines of "They need a strong singer to lead the vocals". Truth be told I've never really heard them, and I guess I always assumed any acoustic problems were to do with the lack of sound checking and decent microphone technique as that's the problem the main worship group have, not poor vocals. Also I never thought I'd be asked to participate for my lack of talent and the fact I'm too old for the youth worship (they're all 14 to 17). But neither seem to be an issue. So hopefully I can use this apparent gift I have and put it to good work. I just have rather a lot of self esteem and confidence hurdles to get over. But with God's help I will be able to. If it weren't for the fact I sing in worship I don't think I could ever sing in public, especially not a solo. But Wednesday proved that I can hold a tune by myself whilst singing into a microphone, my voice magnified to fill the whole sanctuary. Scary stuff.

Anyway enough about me. The reason I'm blogging about worship is because I feel there are a lot of problems with worship in the church. I'm talking about church as a whole, not a particular congregation, community or building or denomination. I find there are 4 types of worship;
-Performed worship
-Contrived worship
-Assisted worship
-Leaded worship


Performed worship
I find this a lot at youth events. It's a band on centre stage, all exceptionally talented, and one or a couple of fantastic vocalists. They play more like they're performing to an audience; the congregation. And like with any rock concert or pop gig they're encouraged to join in, but the focus is on the band and singers. Often there are lots of special stage effects, lighting, smoke machines, multiple instruments which the musicians rotate through, particularly electric guitars. There are long complex instrumental parts, not for personal reflection as such but more a showcase of musical ability, cue a drum or guitar solo. And the singer or singers will add in a multitude of harmonies.
Don't misunderstand me, there's nothing wrong with all this, it's brilliant people can use their gifts in such a way to glorify God. But as for leading worship, I find this method somewhat alienating. How can the congregation lift their voices to the Lord if they're not quite sure of the song as it's hard to distinguish the melody from the harmonies, or even hear their own voices for the intense volume of the music. The order of the verses and choruses has been changed yet no one is giving any sort of cue as to what line comes next, we're not all musical virtuosos or mind readers so we need the worship leaders to give appropriate cues.

Contrived Worship
For some reason Americans spring to mind with this one. Very enthusiastic worship, where everyone is expected to join in. They are almost told when to clap, how to clap, raise their arms in praise, jump up and down etc. It's all very formulated and synchronised. It's great to see a whole congregation clapping in time and raising their arms. But it's not everyone's cup of tea, so seeing everyone in uniform praise is very unnatural as we are all individuals and have very different ways of communicating and worshipping God. Some people really aren't comfortable with it, and yes it's good to encourage active worship, using your whole self and not just your vocal chords and urge people out of their comfort zones, but making them feel obliged or even forced to do it is another thing entirely.
The same happens with prayer. Praying out loud is a very powerful form of worship and witness, and it's encouraging to see and hear others in prayer. But it takes a lot of confidence, and for some it's not how they talk to God as prayer is such a personal thing. So when you're put into small groups and everyone has to contribute to prayer time it becomes very stressful for those uncomfortable with the notion, and prayer should never be stressful, it should be a time of calm and peace. I struggle with praying out loud, it really makes me nervous especially as when it comes to your turn you feel foolish in front of your peers as you mumble something that means nothing to you or face the consequential questioning looks after prayer time if you didn't contribute. Why didn't you pray? Do you not care about ?
We shouldn't be told how to worship, how to pray, how to communicate with God. We shouldn't be made to conform to an idea of how praise should be.

Assisted worship
This is what I like to call meek and mild worship. Basically the band is made up of anyone who can play an instrument, they don't have regular rehearsals or private worship as a group so everything is somewhat unorganised. They turn up on the day and play the music. The singers are all backing singers and have no desire to take a lead, but stand holding their microphones near their chests, meekly singing along. They seem to provide the music for the congregation to sing along to, but the congregation have to do most of the work when it comes to producing any kind of volume and flesh. So if you have a song the congregation aren't familiar with everything falls apart as they have no strong lead to indicate how the music goes, no one to listen to to help pitch the right notes and know when the verse comes in.
Also given the fact everything is usually rather quiet, you don't get enthusiastic involvement from the congregation as they feel too exposed to sing full pelt. The heart is in the right place, but there's no passion.

Leaded worship
This is how worship should be. Not a band taking centre stage and performing, or a group of people just providing helpful music in the corner of the room, but a well put together group of musicians with the confidence to lead the whole of the church in worship, but still keep the focus on God above and not the amazing vocal talents of the singers. Not instructing them in how to worship, but still showing how the song goes, the rises and falls in the pitch of the music and when the verses begin and when the choruses start and end. The worship team are there to encourage and inspire worship. To show the way to communicate with God, offer Him glory and welcome people into His presence. It should be honest, heartfelt and humble.

So in remembering this, if I do ever go on to lead any kind of worship, I need to keep in mind it's not about my ability to sing or play an instrument, but my passion to praise God and in doing so encourage others to worship. And the same applies to anyone else, it's not how technically able they are, or how well they can manipulate their vocal chords, but their ability to inspire others to engage in worship. So less critical thoughts when the drummer fails to keep time or the singers are flat.

Hopefully I'll be able to use my voice one day to lead worship, I'd always pictured myself when I was younger as being able to sing beautifully and with great gusto and volume. Especially placed within the church helping to alight people's passion for Jesus. My mother was and still is a wonderful singer and I aspired to be like her. She'd sing so passionately even when others around her were somewhat reserved. As a result gradually those close to her would also raise their voices as that apprehension about being heard was lessened and they had someone to listen to and learn from as to how the song was supposed to sound. I thought my dreams would never amount to anything for my lack of singing ability. But perhaps there is still hope.



Sing like there's no one listening, dance like no one's watching, Praise the Lord with all your heart, strength and soul.
Every time I enter into worship I try to think like that, just me and God, no one else. We have no reason to sing, make music or to dance, we can survive without music and dance, our existence has no reliance upon them. They are glorious gifts from God and so we should use them to honour his name.



Finally some scriptural reference to the importance of worship in giving thanks to God, witnessing to others and strengthening our relationship with the Father.

John 4:23-24
But the hour is coming, and is now here, when the true worshipers will worship the Father in spirit and truth, for the Father is seeking such people to worship him.
God is spirit, and those who worship him must worship in spirit and truth.

1 Chronicles 16:9
Sing to him, sing praise to him; tell of all his wonderful acts.

1 Chronicles 16:23
Sing to the LORD, all the earth; proclaim his salvation day after day.

2 Chronicles 5:13
The trumpeters and singers joined in unison, as with one voice, to give praise and thanks to the LORD. Accompanied by trumpets, cymbals and other instruments, they raised their voices in praise to the LORD and sang: "He is good; his love endures forever." Then the temple of the LORD was filled with a cloud,

Psalm 59:16
But I will sing of your strength, in the morning I will sing of your love; for you are my fortress, my refuge in times of trouble.

Psalm 150
Praise the LORD! Praise God in His sanctuary; Praise Him in His mighty expanse. Praise Him for His mighty deeds; Praise Him according to His excellent greatness. Praise Him with trumpet sound; Praise Him with harp and lyre. Praise Him with timbrel and dancing; Praise Him with stringed instruments and pipe. Praise Him with loud cymbals; Praise Him with resounding cymbals. Let everything that has breath praise the LORD. Praise the LORD!

No comments: